Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /usr/www/users/testserv/iwm/wp-content/plugins/microkids-related-posts/microkids-related-posts.php on line 645
The aim of the Paul Celan Fellowship Program is to overcome deficits and asymmetries in the exchange of ideas and the reception of scholarly literature which result from the division of Europe in the 20th century. Therefore, the program supports translations of canonical texts and contemporary key works in the humanities, social sciences and cultural studies from Eastern to Western, Western to Eastern, or between two Eastern European languages. Special emphasis is put on translations of relevant works written by East European authors and/or by female scholars. A thematic relation to one of the research fields of the IWM is likewise welcomed.
Please note that fiction and poetry will not be accepted.
Paul Celan Visiting Fellows are invited to spend three to six months between July 2019 and June 2020 at the IWM to pursue their translation projects. Fellows receive a monthly stipend in the amount of EUR 2,500 to cover all expenses related to the stay in Vienna. In addition, the IWM provides the fellows with an office including access to internet, in-house research and administrative facilities as well as other services free of charge.
Applications have to be submitted via the online application form including:
- a curriculum vitae with a bibliography of translations and other relevant publications
- the name of the author and the work to be translated (from the original language) and an explanation for the choice thereof
- the exact number of pages
- a contract or a letter of intent from a publisher proof that the translator/ publisher holds the rights to the translation and its publication (or has an option for them)
- proof that the translator/ publisher holds the rights to the translation and its publication (or has an option for them)
- the planned date of publication
- information on the program of the publishing house
Deadline for Application:
The finalists will be selected by a jury of experts. Applicants will be notified of the jury decision in late spring 2018. The jury is not required to publicly justify its decisions.